The Role of the CIIC
CIIC serves legislators.
- CIIC provides objective, nonpartisan information to confidential legislator requests.
- CIIC conducts unannounced inspections of all state correctional facilities for an
unvarnished view of current corrections in Ohio.
- CIIC published over 70 reports in the last biennium and is on track to publish a similar
number this biennium, providing necessary information to decision-making legislators.
- CIIC responds promptly to legislative offices that receive prison-related questions from
- CIIC analyzes thousands of staff and inmate contacts, keeping its finger on the pulse of
current issues in Ohio prisons.
CIIC serves Ohio taxpayers.
- CIIC can reduce inmate litigation, thus reducing the cost to the state.
- CIIC reports on inefficiencies when identified.
- CIIC conducts inquiries to the Department of Rehabilitation and Correction and the
Department of Youth Services regarding loved ones behind bars.
CIIC serves prison stakeholders.
- CIIC provides expert recommendations for operational improvements.
- CIIC evaluates both the ODRC and ODYS grievance procedures and makes recommendations for
- CIIC continually pushes itself to determine current issues in state corrections and provide
insightful research and analysis.
CIIC serves Ohio by assisting the state's efforts to ensure a safe and humane